How to Make THC Oil for Vape Pen
THC vape pen oil, If you’ve ever purchased a vape pen to use THC for anxiety or THC for pain, you know they average around $50 per ½ gram. So, if you’re a frequent user, the habit isn’t very cost-effective. To still gain the benefits of THC in vape pen form, you can follow the steps below to make your own.
How To Make THC Oil For Vaping Step by Step
To begin, gather the following supplies. Then, follow the steps below.
- 6-7 grams of flower or 1 gram of any cannabis concentrate (i.e., rosin, hash, distillate, shatter, wax)
- Two glass jars (freeze for 2 hours before you begin to extract)
- Strainer and cheesecloth
- Baking sheet
- Stainless steel pot
- Thermometer (cooking or candy type)
- Aluminum foil
- 5 mL Dropper bottles
- PEG400 (blend like EJmix if available) or PG/VG (propylene glycol/food grade vegetable glycerin)
- Everclear or any high proof food grade alcohol (At least 190 proof, and NOT rubbing or isopropyl alcohol!)
- Preheat your oven to 220 – 225 F (105 C), as the first step to making your own THC oil involves slowly heating up your bud. Cover your baking sheet with foil, and lightly break up your flower onto the sheet.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the buds are dry, and begin turning a shade of golden brown.
- Put the material in one of the jars, that has preferably been frozen before beginning. The cold temperature promotes the detachment of cannabinoids and terpenes from unneeded fats and lipids.
- Pour the alcohol over the flower in the jar, completely submerging it. Swirl the mixture by moving the jar from side to side, but not too much as to agitate the material. Place the jar back into the freezer while you prep your next step.
- Cover your second jar or a large glass measuring cup with your cheesecloth. Pour the mixture from the first jar into the second jar, and squeeze lightly to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Now you’ll work to purge the alcohol from the liquid. If possible, open a window in your kitchen or turn on a vent fan. Fill your pan with about 4 inches of water, and place it on the stove. Set the burner to medium heat until the water reaches 160℉ (71℃). Then place your mason jar of liquid into the pot.
- Let the jar simmer for approximately one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Once the alcohol has evaporated, it’s time to add your thinning liquid – either the PEG400 blend or PG/VG. 20-25 MG of these liquids is usually recommended, but you can eyeball as you go for the ideal consistency. Just be aware, if you’re using PG/VG, the more you add, the harsher your hits will be. To increase your potency per hit, use as little of your thinning agent as possible to achieve the desired viscosity for vaping. If you’d like to flavor your THC oil for vaping, this is the step to do it. Just ensure you’re using a food-grade type of flavoring, and add in small amounts to avoid an overpowering taste.
- Next, you’ll fill your empty vape cartridges. If you’re only filling one vape cartridge at a time, we’ll discuss how to store the bulk batch below. Use your eyedropper to fill your vape cart, and voila! You’re ready to vape your own homemade THC oil.
THC vape pen oil. This method, using the recommended 6-7 grams of flower, should produce approximately 25 ML worth of THC oil for vaping. To store, keep in a cool or dark area (38-65 degrees F / 3-18 C). The refrigerator is ideal, but avoid the freezer to degrade any of the delicate cannabinoids now contained in the THC oil. The mixture should keep for up to five months from making it.
Making THC Oils For Vape Pens: Warnings
Of course, heating high-proof alcohol is dangerous when not done safely. You’ll want to make sure that you approach this step with caution, and keep windows open if possible. With that said, be aware that when making THC oil for vaping, the process will create a pungent odor. Just like smoking, THC would too. So if you’re in an area where cannabis isn’t legalized, or have less than friendly neighbors you may want to consider this before beginning.
How Much THC Is In A Vape Pen?
What’s nice about purchasing THC oil vape carts is the manufacturer has done the testing for you and can tell you exactly how much THC is contained. Unfortunately, with the DIY method, you’ll have to do some calculations and estimating on your own. Luckily, the formula does produce an approximate amount of THC so you can more accurately dose each cart, and per dose.
How To Calculate How Much THC Oil In Vape Pen?
To calculate how much THC is in the oil you’ve made for your vape pen, you’ll just need to complete a simple formula. That’s the same as figuring out the levels of THC in edibles, too. First, you’ll need to determine how much THC is in the strain of the flower you used to make the oil. You can use our handy THC percentage chart here, or if purchased at a licensed dispensary, the package should note the amount.
It’s also crucial to know how many cups of liquid that your THC oil ended up being. Once you have those estimates or exact numbers, you’ll complete the following math –
- Divide your THC % by 100
- Multiply that answer by 1000
- Multiply that answer by the number of G’s used in the mixture
- Divide that answer by the number of carts that the oil can make to equal your per cart THC %
As an example, we’ll say we used 6 g of Bruce Banner at 25% THC, and you have 25 vape carts to fill.
25% ÷ 100 = .25 THC per g X 1000 = 250 mg THC x 6 g = 1,500 MG THC ÷ 25 = 60 MG per vape cart
Once you know the formula, you can use this simple math to figure out THC’s calculation when infused into other substances or liquids.
Best Voltage For Vaping THC Oil
Like we mentioned in the step-by-step instructions, THC cannabinoids and terpenes can be quite delicate. At high heats, they can degrade, which will conversely degrade the level or potency of your high. Once you’ve made your own batch, it’s ideal for learning the best voltage for vaping THC oil, so you don’t waste what you’ve made. When vaping THC oil, it’s perfect to have a vaporizer pen that has multiple temperature settings. That way, you can choose the lowest one, or the most recommended voltage of 3.3-3.8 volts.
Vaping THC Oil vs Smoking
Even though vaping THC and smoking THC through cannabis flowers both produce puffs of ‘smoke’ when exhaling, they are quite different beyond that one similarity. Here’s a quick breakdown of their fundamental differences.
- Vaping THC oil is more potent – Cannabis flower typically contains levels of THC ranging from 12% – 25%. As opposed to THC vape carts, which can contain THC levels up to 99%.
- Vaping THC oil is less harsh on the lungs – Cannabis flower must be burned and combusted to be inhaled for its effects to be felt. This process can be harsh on the lungs and result in coughing or a build-up of phlegm over time.
- Vaping THC oil may be healthier than smoking – The smoke that cannabis produces contains the same type of cancer-causing chemicals as cigarettes do.
Is Vaping THC Cartridges Safe?
Since illicit and black market vapes have been found to be a source of severe lung issues amongst their consumers, there’s been a lingering question on whether or not vaping THC carts are safe. Luckily, the answer is yes. Licensed manufactured vape carts now have to go through rigorous testing to ensure their users that the cartridges don’t contain harmful contaminants or dangerous additives.
The investigation into ‘bad’ vapes concluded that brands using Vitamin E acetate posed a danger to users’ health. In fact, out of the fake vapes that were investigated, 10 out of 10 fake THC carts also contained hydrogen cyanide—a harmful pesticide, especially when inhaled. To remain to vape safely, ensure that you purchase products from trusted vendors or brands that come with third-party lab reports or testing information.
16 thoughts on “How to Make THC Oil for Vape Pen”
How is the COVID situation over there?
Leave me alone, I’m just taking a look
I like your explanation here. Thanks for posting
I like your writing here. Thanks for sharing
I like your ideas in this post. Thanks for writing
I like your breakdown here. Thanks for writing
I like your writing in this post. Thanks for blogging
My friend told me the pax 3 is the best vaporizer for weed, do you concur?
My buddy told me to buy the Crafty Vaporizer, do you think that is a wise choice for a beginner?
I’ve been vaping the boundless cfx vape and I would most likely recommend it
I just got my hands on a Crafty Vaporizer and it works like a charm
Vaporizing indica is much more enjoyable with a high profile device
Vaping indica is much more satisfying with a high profile device
Vaping weed is much more satisfying with a top level product
WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .. …
Waiting patiently for you to come home with my delivery
Comments are closed.